GiddyUp…

by Kate on October 28, 2009

The GiddyUp baby quilt has been finished and is off to be enjoyed by another new arrival.

Before we get to the finished product, I thought I would show you an important part of the quilting process – basting.

I learnt how to machine quilt at a class run by Deb Louie, apart from it being VERY comprehensive Deb, instilled the importance of basting and it is something I never rush.

The finished quilt top..

The pieced back..

And on another note…

The winner of the Blogtoberfest Giveway is: “Leonie Guld said…Its just to dam hard to choose!!! Ok, Ok, red…oh…green…oh…red…..Its RED!”

Congratulations Leonie, drop me a mail with your contact details and I will whip up a lovely little package for you. Thanks to everyone for playing along.

1 Leonie Guld October 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I am so excited…i am nearly peeing my pants!!!!!! Thank you…thank you….thank you!!!

2 Kirsty October 28, 2009 at 12:29 pm

It's absolutely GORGEOUS! I love this quilt…so much.

3 Amy October 28, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Beautiful. (And basting is my least favorite part of all – I always rush it!)

4 Mel October 28, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Well you just know I'd love to hear LOTS more about the importance of basting … and any other words of advice you may have gleaned from Deb (lord knows when I will manage to do one of her courses).

This quilt is just so super duper! Such an excellent combination of colours and fabrics but man oh man I LOVE those horses!

5 Tania October 28, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Honestly, Mrs – how many of these lucky newborns do you know?!!!!

PS. Please send lucky Leonie her prize – before she pees her pants.

6 Leslie October 28, 2009 at 1:46 pm

i 100% agree…basting makes or breaks the quilt…this quilt is so cute! love the quilting

7 Heather October 28, 2009 at 2:47 pm

And to think… I use spray glue to baste??? I kid!! :)

It looks wonderful like always Kate!

Xo, Heather

8 RED PEPPER QUILTS October 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Lucky lucky baby! Lovely quilt! I have to agree, it is all in the basting. Well maybe not quite ALL, but it sure is the foundation for nicely finished quilt! Your class was so worthwhile.

Rita

9 Kate October 28, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I have a stack of that leaf fabric for backings, bought metres when it was on special one day.

10 gret October 28, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Gorgeous job. I'd be interested to know if you or anyone else has ever tried this method?

I'm not sure what other method I'd use without a large hard surface?

11 Kate October 28, 2009 at 3:49 pm

That quilt is just gorgeous. I've only ever made 2 quilts and I hated the basting part. I just couldn't get all the layers together without any wrinkles.

12 sophie October 28, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I would just love to do a quilting course when I get some time. I love your quilts, they are always so beautiful!

13 Cathy October 28, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Stunning quilt here Kate. I agree about the basting, it's worth taking time over. Do you iron yours? Congrats Leonie! xo

14 comfortstitching October 28, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I feel I have to confess, I hate basting, I always rush it and never use enough pins!!!!!!

15 Blueberry Park October 28, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Since I am still yet to find the time to venture into the world of quilting, this technical input is beyond me. One day…;-) However I am in awe yet again of your beautiful creation and simply love that leaf fabric backing x

16 thornberry October 28, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Love it Kate – both the front and the back! Just divine.

17 Quilts on Bastings October 28, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Lovely quilt Kate, well done! Thank goodness I never have to baste!

18 randi October 29, 2009 at 12:41 am

This is a very pretty quilt! Great work!

I am just about to venture into straight-line stitching and I am feeling nervous about it. It seems like the fabric on the back will bunch up easier. We will see. I do notice that you use WAY more pins than I do. Maybe that is the secret! :)

19 euphoria October 29, 2009 at 4:55 am

stunning! I love the quilting on it. Baby is very lucky to have this beautiful quilt!

I have to ask, how do you find the time to make all of these pretty quilts?!? I have 4 unfinished ones, 2 need quilting, one needs binding and the other I just started!

20 Kerri October 29, 2009 at 5:44 am

it looks amazing, kate!! love it!!

21 izzy inspired October 29, 2009 at 8:09 am

Your giddy up quilt is gorgeous!! What a lucky new arrival to have this to come home to!! I especially love the deep colors you chose….it gives the quilt such a happy feel!

22 tea with lucy October 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm

What a stunning quilt. Such lovely fabrics.

23 Jessi October 29, 2009 at 8:22 pm

that is something special! i am not a fan of too many patchwork quilts, however this is a beautiful piece of art!!!! x

24 Katy October 31, 2009 at 2:06 am

I used to hate basting, but all of a sudden I suddenly starting enjoying it (strangely enough it happened when I stopped breaking my knee caps on the floor and started using the table)

I LOVE the giddy up quilt, it's perfect in it's simplicity, and leaves me just staring at all the lovely fabrics instead of concentrating on the blocks. Gorgeous!

25 Aimee November 1, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Gorgeous quilt, Kate! Glad you took the class & loved it!

26 lady bird November 3, 2009 at 12:46 pm

wow turned out great…still in love with that horse fabric!