Swapping..

by Kate on November 4, 2009

The fisrt swap, was The Pillow Talk swap..pretty clear what we had to do here. I made Heather a pillow using some linen, Denyse Schmidt Country Fair and Nani Iro fabric.

I was pretty pleased with the outcome and was VERY tempted to hold onto it!

The next swap is the “Hand Stitched” embroidery swap and boy did I struggle with this one. It took three attempts and two design changes before I was happy enough to send this off. I can’t reveal who my partner is until they get the package…I hope they enjoy it!

1 Sarah - Red Gingham November 4, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I like real life much better, less intimidating. You embroidery is lovely, great idea and nice French knots! Love your cushion also. I have a thing for cushions especially now that I have two new ones.

2 Mel November 4, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Ummm can I come live at your place? It looks so calm and serene! And I would so love to be on the receiving end of a swap with you! Those are two lucky ladies (or blokes?) on the end of those little beauties!

In other news you will be proud of me – bought the first Sookie Stackhouse book today ;) All your peer pressure paid off. Now just don't make me smoke with you behind the girls toilets ok?

3 Maggie November 4, 2009 at 1:11 pm

your hand stitched embroidery is just beautiful. I wish I had a better description for you it is so…? it's so … I wish you were sending it to me

4 m.e (Cathie) November 4, 2009 at 2:04 pm

i absolutely LOVE your moment!!
thank you for showing us a glimpse of your 'real life'.

by the way…I take ALOT of photos, and definitely not all of them end up being even close to perfect :)

5 Tania November 4, 2009 at 2:07 pm

You are SUCH a perfectionist! The bird is gorgeous can't imagine the other two versions were anything less! I love a slice of real life too. Although sometimes I reserve the right to blur the photo.

6 Gina November 4, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for a bit of reality… I love looking at pretty pictures but sometimes it gets too much, it's too perfect.

I admit that I do a fair bit of reality partly because I can't make it look pretty (or blurry like Tania!) and partly because otherwise I would start projecting an image of me that's not real (and that I would then put pressure on myself to live up to… you know how it goes).

ANyway may I just say how utterly GORGEOUS that pillow is, I love Nani Iro and you have teamed it beautifully. As you tend to.

7 freshlemons November 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I love your photo and your home is just beautiful!

8 gret November 4, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Ah yes, the wrretched curse of perfectionism and people-pleasing. I totally get it.

BUT I am SO glad you are going to show us more of you! That's what we all secretly want to see. And I love that image – such beautiful place you have! I wish I had a space like that. And I don't think I've seen anything you haven't done well. x

9 Lorraine November 4, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for a peek into the moment , always fascinating to see into the lives of fellow quilters & bloggers.
Love the hand stitching , it's perfect !

10 1/4 of an inch November 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Completion is feeling just as good as starting something new at the moment…loving your work…are they bullion or french knots on that beautiful hand stitching?

11 Quilts on Bastings November 4, 2009 at 7:12 pm

The cushion is lovely and the hand stitched embroidery is just divine.

12 Blueberry Park November 4, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Look at your place…that room is amzing!! Can I come and live there? I'd only take up a little corner… Obviously I love your work Kate and whether it's photographed in what you feel is a photographic way or not, your talent always shines through x

13 Katy November 4, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I love how airy and light your place is – I struggle to find anywhere that has some light coming in through the windows!

I also second what Karen (blueberry park) says.

14 RED PEPPER QUILTS November 4, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for making it real Kate! Very refreshing, and definitely still a wonderfully serene picture. I love love love the embroidery, absolutely beautiful! Lucky recipients – both for the pillow and hand stitch swap!

Rita

15 Amy November 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm

that pillow is a treasure! well done!

16 comfortstitching November 4, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I love the pic you chose, I think it gives great background to your quilty style!!

17 wishes, true and kind November 5, 2009 at 1:20 am

Great pillow and embroidery!

18 angela November 5, 2009 at 3:53 am

Love that pillow and the embroidery! And I think someone else above said the same thing, but I thought 'calm' when I saw your room. Nice place to create!

19 izzy inspired November 5, 2009 at 4:58 am

Now that is what I call clean! Your reality picture is still quite pretty!
Your hand stitched design is a work of art, absolutely amazing and beautiful! I want one of my own!!

20 Carissa Rasmussen November 5, 2009 at 5:07 am

did you screen the bird print onto the fabric yourself? I find all these cute images I would love to transfer to fabric for embroidery and such but am nervous to attempt it…any ideas?

21 Cathy November 5, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Lovely home pic! I love your bird embroidery xo

22 Linda November 5, 2009 at 7:28 pm

oh my I do love your cushion and your embroidery is TO DIE FOR it is simply stunning, love it

23 rachel November 5, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Its all beautiful Kate! I love your embroidery the colours are so stunning, and the pillow is gorgeous. I love that Nano Iro print!! Thanks for sharing a picture of 'real life'. Your place always looks so calm and tidy.

24 karlyn Jackson November 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm

mmmmm you must be a perfectionist because you house looks quite orderly to me….I know what you mean though! great cushion, love the strips and your embroidery puts mine to shame.

25 Aimee November 7, 2009 at 11:40 pm

The pillow is gorgeous, but that embroidery is UNBELIEVABLE!! Love it, love it, love it!