The Big Apple – Day 3

by Kate on July 28, 2010

Dinner at Tamarind (recommend by Victoria) and it was probably the best Indian I have had outside London.

I’ve been flying solo today and have covered some serious ground, my first stop was Purl Soho. The yarn section did not disappoint, a large variety and there were so many different colours. There wasn’t a huge selection of fabric but what they did have was beautiful.

I then made a quick pit stop at Hampton Chutney (another recommendation from Victoria), just around the corner from Purl and too delicious to put into words.

Mood Fabrics was next. Wall to wall, row after row of fabric, I was overwhelmed and left empty handed although on the way out I did spy some Oscar de la Renta silk that I may go back for.

M&J Trimmings was my final stop for the day, it contains more buttons and trims than I have ever seen in one space.

1 RED PEPPER QUILTS July 28, 2010 at 7:26 am

Enjoying your NYC updates! Thanks for the eye-candy.

Rita
x

2 Cindy July 28, 2010 at 7:27 am

Loving all that beautiful wool! I can imagine Mood would be kind of overwhelming, but in a really good, roll around in a mountain of fabric way

3 Kate July 28, 2010 at 8:13 am

I am loving your pictures. I remember traipsing around NY 6 years ago and being so overwhelmed I don't think I bought any fabric at all.

4 ~ Kim ~ July 28, 2010 at 9:25 am

I am sooo jealous. I'd love to be there one day. Love the pics.

5 CitricSugar July 28, 2010 at 9:28 am

I am loving living vicariously through you – you're hitting all of the places on my GoToNewYork list!

Thanks – enjoy the rest of it!

(PS – word verification: binge. You have the internet's approval to go crazy!)

6 Andi July 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

Such a lovely time you're having!!
So glad.
:-)

7 Shannon July 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

and in a strange turn of events I find myself looking at that yellow wool thinking '…ophhh yellow wool….niiiice….'

im going to go hit myself in head with hammer now.

8 Maxabella July 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

Loving the NYC journey. I feel like I'm right there with you. At least, I wish I was right there with you!!!

9 Christine July 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm

THx so much for your pictures – enjoy!!
Chrisitne

10 Cathy July 28, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Loving the travelblog. xo

11 Gert July 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm

It's great to see all the "must-see-shops-for-quilters" in your postings: I've visited them as well ^_^ Moods Fabrics is great, and of course famous because of Project Runway. The new Purl store is much bigger than their previous, but like you said: not very much quilting fabrics. The City Quilter offers more, but they sell a different taste in fabrics. And if you're looking for a place to try some fabulous vegetarian food: try The Red Bamboo. You won't believe that their chicken and their ribs are actually vegetarian ^_^ Enjoy your stay!

12 Amy July 28, 2010 at 9:37 pm

are you still here? i'll come have lunch with you! or you can hop a train from grand central and 40 minutes later you can hang out around the pool in a classic nyc suburb… hmmm, which sounds better?

13 Mel July 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Was Tim Gunn in Mood?! Just kidding! That place will definitely be on my list when I'm there in September thanks to my desperate love of Project Runway. So Purl didn't disappoint?

Oh I forgot to suggest a cocktail at Sushi Samba and dinner at Tao … if those places are still there and you're not fully booked out!

14 Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS July 30, 2010 at 12:07 am

Such a bummer I'm no there to play!!!
SO glad you hit a few good places for food! ;-) yum! and all those great fabric places!! you were just around the corner from my place… ;-) let me know if you come back for another visit!!

15 Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS July 30, 2010 at 12:09 am

Hope your having a blast!!! at least lots of good food!~ ;-)

16 Christie July 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Go back for the SILK!

17 handmadehappiness August 5, 2010 at 8:39 am

oooohhhh mood fabric's i am salivating!!!!! sorry was just having a homer moment hope you had a blast xoxo

18 Valerie August 11, 2010 at 9:51 am

oh that basket ! these colors … !
I'll go one day !
You must have had a great time !