Pink Windows

by Kate on August 3, 2011

This was the perfect project to get my quilting mojo back – pretty fabrics, small size and quick to finish.

I randomly pieced the blocks using fabrics from my scrap bin and for me, there really is nothing more statisfying than sewing with scraps.

Given I don’t have a fabric stash, I ducked up to my local and got just the right amount of everything else I needed to finish the quilt. The backing fabric, the white solid and my favourite…the pre-made binding were all purchased from Patchwork on Central Park.

Pink Windows

It’s no secret that many of our retailers in Australia are going through a tough time at the moment and I’m sure it is no different for the patchwork stores.

As a consumer, it is hard to go past the prices when buying online, books especially (Australians get fleeced when it comes to book buying). I do however, fear that a consequence of online shopping will mean that I won’t have the luxury of visiting a local patchwork store. I might miss out on being able to take a class, get good advice and get what I need, when I need it.

It is a complex issue and one not isolated to patchwork stores. We operate in a global market and I think our local distributors across the board need to reavalute they how/what/way they charge retailers.

Anyway, there is an interesting article here about the effect online shopping is having on the local economy.

organic line quilting

So, quilt vitals:
Quilt measures 38″ x 30″
Pink windows measure 10″ square
Quilted with organic lines
Smaller version of this quilt.

1 Cille August 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

Glad your mojo is back. :) I really like the colors in your quilt.
We have much the same issue here in Denmark regarding prices of fabric. I tend to buy most of my fabric locally but have shopped online in the UK because the selection for certain brands much bigger. Yesterday I ordered something from the US for the first time. As a comparison I just bought 12 fat quarters here for the same price as 11 yards from US. I still have to add postage and taxes of course but it s still a bargain. And a line of fabric I cannot get here. Can’t wait….

2 Lynley August 3, 2011 at 9:02 am

That’s a beautiful quilt!!! I’m going to try that soft curve quilting – I have been very cautious in sticking to dead straight lines but the curves give a lovely effect.

I’m afraid I get very bloody-minded about local quilt shops – either stock goods and services I want, at a price I’m willing to pay, or go broke. I buy all my fabric online because the price difference is so huge – I go to the shop for batting and sometimes thread but I wouldn’t worry if it vanished. No signs of that though, my local is Addicted to Fabric, which is a lovely shop, and it seems to be thriving despite my lack of patronage!

3 andi August 3, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’m with you on the bricks ‘n’ mortar shop issue. It can be very hard to pass up the huge online savings but I try to do it at least some of the time.
Most importantly, love your little quilt. (Just enough pink to tickle my fancy) ;)
xx

4 Kate August 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Andi!

5 Michelle @ the quilted tortoise August 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

Love the organic line quilting and the stripy binding!

A lot of hype in the media about online sales and half of those going overseas. All online sales in Aus represent between 4-6% of total retail sales.

Amitie in Bentleigh are selling all fabrics (exc Liberty) at $16.50 / metro for the month of August to show their commitment to lower prices, I love that they are taking action!

6 Kate August 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Wow! Sounds fantastic.

7 Lynette August 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I love these wavy parallel lines!

8 Kirst August 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Awwww…very sweet. x

9 Georgia August 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm

This is gorgeous! I love it. :-)

10 Lorraine August 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Love the wee quilt !!
GC is sadly lacking a local other than Spotlight :(
I do buy online from Melbourne & Sydney ( + USA )
I have taken classes at Spotlight & I was never comfortable with the expectation that I purchase my fabrics there for classes .
When buying large amounts of fabric for big projects I find it very hard to pay three times the price , the difference is a deal breaker.
Just my experience & situation , I suppose.

11 Kate August 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm

And one that is shared with many other quilters…

12 Facile Cécile August 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

very nice project!

13 Lynn August 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Thanks so much for your support Kate, Loved your quilt, I for one will be sorry if our small shops do “go broke” as Lynley puts it.
I do understand it is really tempting but there is nothing like touching fabric and seeing the colour before you buy. Lucky for me there are a lot of people that love the human interaction you get in our shop and others like it.

14 Annika August 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love the colours. Teal and dark pink-purple are my favourites!

15 Judy August 4, 2011 at 7:43 am

Your quilt is beautiful, Iove the colours. I agree with you that local patchwork shops need our support. There is a great deal more to them than just buying a bit of fabric, the whole shop experience is exciting and tactile and cannot be duplicated over the internet.

16 Kate August 4, 2011 at 10:30 am

I couldn’t agree more Judy!

17 anna August 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm

simply stunning, i just love the color combo and well, all of it! your style is just beautiful to my eyes. :)

18 Kate August 5, 2011 at 11:37 am

Thanks Anna xx

19 Christina August 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I wish I had your mojo! Another lovely quilt. Loving those wavey lines too. :)

20 Sarah Wheatley August 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Beautiful quilt Kate.

Nice that you tackled such a tricky & complex subject. I find it interesting that some consumers would think that it is as easy as just lowering prices, insinuating that perhaps shops in Australia are charging too much and being greedy. For the most part, there is a wholesaler involved, which, pre internet, was essential and necessary to bring goods to this land down under. Nowadays, the internet has opened the world up to us all – shop owners and shoppers alike and change needs to occur, but that is a slow process, often tied up in red tape. There is no doubt that there needs to be changes made for businesses to survive & we are seeing evidence of that being actively sought. In the meantime, Kate I’m sure your loyalty to your local shops is most appreciated. And that is no doubt the reason that Addicted to Fabric is thriving too. Loyalty, a good old Australian value!

Anyone know of a clever person that could come up with a flow chart (similar to the flow chart Pia Jane Bijkerk collaborated on, showing how to give credit on blogs), showing the effects of shopping locally, and exactly how many people you support in doing so.?

21 Kate August 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

Thanks for stopping by Sarah. Yes, things do need to change and I hope the governing bodies recognise that quickly. I would really hate to see our bricks and motar shops go out of business because of their failure to act.

There really is nothing like popping into your local shop, having a chat and purchasing fabric.

xx

22 karen sato August 4, 2011 at 7:10 pm

sweet quilt!

an interesting read and yes a very complex issue.

23 Rachel at Stitched in Color August 5, 2011 at 6:19 am

It’s so good of you to stand up for what you believe in, even here on your blog where people can take offense. Well said though! It seems to me that the money must be going somewhere. So, as someone mentioned, is there a middle man between the Aussie shops and the manufacturers that is taking a large cut? I wonder…

24 Kate August 5, 2011 at 11:33 am

In Australia, there is a middle man and I think that is one of the reasons we have to pay so much for fabric.

25 Tam August 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Nice to see some machine work Kate! How goes Dècouverte?

Tricky subject to tackle – the balancing act is hard to find I think, must admit when I’m the ‘fabric’ zone there is nothing better than a ‘touch and feel’ and of course the opportunity to communicate the ‘old’ way with similar enthusiastic minds :) How nice would a really great yarn shop be for that! xxt

26 Kate August 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

I would love a yarn shop locally that stocked some beautiful yarns that at the moment, we can only buy from the states. There really is nothing better than seeing yarn and fabric in the flesh before buying x

27 Sandrine August 5, 2011 at 11:09 am

Your quilt is really lovely love the undulating lines! You raise an interesting issue…I think retails generally are in a deep…Hopefully it will be better eventually?I wonder where it will take us?

28 lynne August 6, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Love your quilt with the white background, and a stripe binding is my favorite. As a former bookstore owner I can totally relate to your message. We did not renew our lease on our shop after 5 years because we could see where things were headed. I don’t know how to stop the online train. I still like to hold a book (or yarn or fabric) before I buy. However a cheaper price and a simple “click” are hard to beat. Sometimes I just want to read and sew and not think about where it comes from. Thank you for reminding us.

29 Rebecca Lynne August 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I am loving the undulating line quilting…subtle and beautiful touch. It is tranquil but fresh, the colors are great. This quilt makes me want to cuddle up and read a good book…alone…while my kids nap! Ha!

Thanks for sharing!

30 Andrea August 16, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Oh yes, well said~ And I find myself in the same quandary – when you have access to so much range you would otherwise not find (i.e anthropologie ships to australia) but you know that that is at the detriment to local business….