Doily Christmas Decorations – Tutorial

by Kate on November 10, 2011

Last year, I was so inspired by Kirsty’s faker crochet projects that I really wanted to whip up some Christmas decorations.

Of course, last year, that did not happen BUT they will be on the tree this year.

IMG_2911

There is nothing prettier than crocheted tree decorations but I am nothing, if not realistic.

Fine crochet work is not my forte and the thought of hooking up decorations a year from Christmas (that’s probably how long it would take me), is enough to send me over the edge.

Enter a doily tablecloth.

IMG_2895

Exit masses of decorations and I did it in all in just 5 steps.

Doily Christmas Decorations - Tutorial

Get the tutorial here.

Pop back in December and I will show you the decorated tree!

1 Tanya November 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

hahaha cheater!

I made a mass of crocheted snowflakes last year but didnt do a tree to display them. So I will remedy that this year :D

2 Lara November 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Love it Kate! Just beautiful.

3 Kate November 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thanks Lara x

4 Karlyn jackson November 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Great idea Kate, I have one of those table cloths tucked away just waiting for that type of project. p.s I visited Mitchell Rd today too….WOW what a great place, I have been meaning to go there for ages. Grabbed some great chairs for my new dining room.

5 Kate November 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm

OOOh looking forward to seeing your purchases!

6 ingrid November 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Just saw these on your flickr and had to pop by and see more. I love them and can’t wait to make some for my tree.
thanks for the tutorial

7 Kate November 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Can’t wait to see yours Ingrid! I can’t wait to get them on the tree but a little early yet….not that it has stopped the retailers ;)

8 Lurline November 10, 2011 at 3:57 pm

A great idea!
Hugs – Lurlineā™„

9 Kylie November 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm

LOVE this idea! and those pics are just fabulousness. Nothing like a bit of hills hoist photography ;) Kx

10 Tania November 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

They are lovely as all get out but I still haven’t forgiven you for mentioning the ‘C’ word.

11 Seaweed & Raine November 16, 2011 at 11:15 am

Cool cheat. :) I did actually crochet a few for my Mum for her tree back in winter… I should get them on strings for her. If you’re only doing a few, they don’t take very long at all. I should do a post on them one of these days…

12 Ivy December 6, 2011 at 2:11 am

Do you realize how much work went into making that tablecloth??? Apparently not…you have destroyed a wonderful work of art just because you don’t want to learn to crochet or to pay someone who does crochet to make some snowflakes for you. The hours it took to make that tablecloth are now gone out the window because you were in a hurry to get the snowflakes without a thought for what the person who made the tablecloth went through to complete it…

13 Kate December 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

thanks so much for your comment.

to clarify…

a: I do know how to crochet.
b: The table cloth was found at a thrift store, unloved.
c: I am well aware of the work that went into the making of the tablecloth.
d: I chose to give the tablecloth a second life and the decorations will give my family many years of joy during the Christmas season.

Have a lovely Christmas and thanks so much for your insightful comment.

Kate

14 muriel December 6, 2011 at 6:03 am

You ruined a perfectly nice tablecloth to make Xmas ornaments?

15 AnnClaire December 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

Not to rain on your parade, but ARE YOU NUTS cutting up such an heirloom tablecloth? :)

You would probably have been better off advertising on Craigs List for a crocheter to crochet you the snowflakes … or visiting the local craft fair, etc.

Sorry, but that tablecloth was way more valuable than cut up as snowflakes for a tree! For example, it would have made a stunning holiday tablecloth over a christmas red tablecloth.

16 Kate December 6, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hi Ann,

This is the third email I have received this morning in relation to the tablecloth.

To clarify, the tablecloth was found in a thrift shop, unloved at the bottom of a very large pile.

Whilst it was in reasonable condition, there were some stains and holes in the tablecloth.

As a crocheter myself, I am well aware of the work that went into making the tablecloth but given were I found it and the state it was in I thought it better to re-purpose it into something that will give my family many years of joy during Christmas.

It’s not for you to understand why I turned the tablecloth into decorations, each to their own.

Regards,
Kate

17 Hinda Bina December 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

I must admit to being mystified. Why on earth would you cut up a perfectly lovely crocheted motif tablecloth simply to “create” identical little snowflakes? It would have been easier, more original and more creative to have crocheted those snowflakes individually. Plus each one could have been different, just as no two snowflakes are alike.

18 shannon December 6, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Im all for chopping tablecloths – I say chop on! You did a great job of giving an old cloth new life. Why sit there wasting precious time when you can cut corners….obviously some people have alot of time on their hands….

Now Im off to make some dresses out of second hand pillowcase….uh oh – am I allowed?

19 Kirst December 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Go Shaz & Go Kate.

You know I’m all for a cheater project – hooked or otherwise. I wonder about those wonderful pieces made from hacked up tapestries … is that a no no too? Think of all the cool stuff we would miss out on if we didn’t have a crack at stuff that make others raise their eyebrows.

20 muriel December 7, 2011 at 5:28 am

I can’t agree with chopping it up to make single ornaments all alike. Even it there were damaged portions it would have been nicer to cut out larger portions and make place mats, doilies, runners, etc with new crocheted edging. That way you could preserve more of the original work. I don’t see any examples of thread work on your site? Do you crochet with thread?

21 Kate December 7, 2011 at 8:00 am

And that’s your right Muriel, you don’t have to agree with what I do and I don’t have to agree with what you do. Difference is what makes the world an interesting place.

I have a great respect for what you do and know how much work goes into your doilies.

I’m just a bit disappointed that someone has very clearly posted a comment in the ‘thread addicts’ yahoo group and individuals are coming and voicing their opinion as if their opinion is only one that is right.

Like I said, each to their own.

22 muriel December 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

I take it you don’t actually do thread crochet, at least I found no samples on your website. I agree many of the comments are a bit harsh from the “thread addicts”. That’s because they are so interested in preserving vintage artistry – the items and especially passing along the skills.