Mr Christian

by Kate on November 9, 2011

Within our family, these shoes are iconic.

Mr Christian

Mum (at the ripe old age of 21) wore them as part of her ‘going away’ outfit after her and Dad were married.

I wanted to showw you a photo with Mum in the shoes and sporting a pair of killer blue flares but somewhat conveniently, Mum “can’t find” it.

I really have no idea how she walked in them, they are SO high and heavy.

Every time I have a go, I am lucky to keep my ankle bones in tact. Thank god for flats!

1 Karen Wilson November 9, 2011 at 7:42 am

They are amazing shoes!! I wish I had some like that ;) I couldn’t even dream of trying to wear my mum’s shoes (if she still had such classics) because she’s a size 7-8 and I’m a size 10-11.

2 Amber November 9, 2011 at 8:39 am

What awesome shoes! I would so wear them (I need the extra height).

I’d consider keeping shoes for my girls to wear when they’re older (and the shoes are back in fashion), but they don’t make them like they used to!!

3 Kirst November 9, 2011 at 8:48 am

Just so freaking good! Love them.

4 Tanya November 9, 2011 at 8:58 am

Those are scary!

5 Molly November 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

Your Mom is my new idol. Seriously.

6 nicke November 9, 2011 at 9:46 am

i love them! absolutely timeless!

7 Mel November 9, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yes! I was just thinking, “Ow my ankles hurt” just looking at them! Very awesome though. Did she ever fall off them? Ow my ankles are hurting again!

8 CitricSugar November 9, 2011 at 10:30 am

We have no such fabulous family heirloom. Also, my mother and sister can share shoes. My feet are much smaller and I still look like a girl playing dress-up if I try theirs on…

Gorgeous. Love them.

9 katiecrackernuts November 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

They’re great shoes and I bet your ma felt a million dollars in them and spent a lot of time sitting and gently swinging her bronzed legs.

10 Michelle @ rockMYroll November 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm

OMG!!
They are a…mazing!!
What a heritage!!
Mxo

11 Seaweed & Raine November 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Platforms are brillient! I had an awesome pair when I met my hubby. I had them for years before the leather gave out. Love your Mum’s ones. Christian? Lacroix?

12 M Violetta November 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I came home to my partner the other day and announced that I absolutely Must Learn How To Wear High Heels Before I Turn 40 ( I have a few years to go)…. he couldn’t stop laughing! These shoes are a very Very good reason that I shall ignore him and do it anyway! Thanks

13 Michelle @ the quilted tortoise November 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Wow, they are drop dead gorgeous! I don’t think I would even be able to stand in them, let alone walk! Definitely perched on a bar stool with a great drink shoes looking sexy shoes!

14 Sara November 10, 2011 at 2:27 am

Yes they are adorable,but I do love flats MUCH better!!

15 Annika November 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

These are amazing! And in such good nick. I know what you mean about flats. I love the look of heels, but I just cannot deal with the pain. Doesn’t keep me from buying them, though. Some of them are just too pretty!

16 Caroline November 11, 2011 at 12:05 am

WOW! Those are the most amazing shoes ever! Your mum has got some serious style….

Meh, who needs to walk anyway…?

17 Tania November 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I’m afraid this is one of those cases for sucking it up and wearing the glories. You can worry about the bunions/ankles tomorrow.

18 Julie Stapleton June 13, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Wow…flashback! I remember these shoes. They were a top seller for year. I was a designer there in the seventies. The owner of Mr Christian, my boss, was a tiny blonde bombshell…and the taller the shoes, the better. Some even had drawers in the heels.
I, on the other hand, am tall. It was a battle to get little delicate heels accepted, but they were eventually. They were just as sexy. I loved some of the shoes I made and wished I had kept them.
Jooles

19 tilly divine July 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

Julie
I have been looking for a pair of Mr Christian Zip Toes for a while. Any idea if there are any left on the planet. they were my faves all through high school.
Tilly Divine
xx

20 Laura Cauchi March 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hi Julie – do you remember John Cauchi- he was foreman at Mr Christians – we would love to get back in touch with Dave and Barbara – please pass on my email address if you are able to contact them. I wish I had kept some of those shoes too – my girls would have loved them now……thanks ….Laura

21 mhel September 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm

yeah what ever happen to mr christian shoe store?…growing up with them and now cant find shoes like mr christian, their shoes were the best shoes ever…bring mr christian back in australia brisbane….

22 Mary October 21, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Hi, I also had a beautiful pair of Mr Christain shoes which I bought from the shop in Centrepoint Tower, Sydney in the very late 1970s or very early eighties. They were also wooden platforms, but defintely not as high as those in the pic! They were a beautiful design of leather & tapestry and very comfortable. So comfortable that I wore them all the time, and wore them out…sigh. Wish I kept them just for the style. There is nothing around like those shoes now. When did Mr Christian close down? His shoes were very good quality, different and like works of art! I would also love to find a vintage pair of his shoes…

23 suz November 18, 2013 at 2:25 am

where are the owners now ?

24 Kate November 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm

My Mum still has them.

25 Laura Cauchi March 19, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Does anyone know contact details of Dave & Barbara Adams please? My husband John was a shoemaker for them for a number of years – we would love to be able to catch up for old times sake – we agree – best shoes on the planet!!!

26 Suzy April 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I had two divine pairs of Mr Christian shoes that I charity binned many years ago….noooooooo! How was I to know that Mr Christian in Edward St was not long for this Earth? They were the most astoundingly beautiful and unique shoes. Laura, how lovely to have a man who was involved in creating art for ones feet :)

27 Chris May 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm

How amazing your mum still has these shoes. I had the same ones. The’re called Rabbits/tapestry/super highs and retailed circa 1974 for $36.99 – $39.99. They also made beautiful matching tapestry bags. I worked for Mr Christian stores for 12 years during the 70s and 80s. It was the most amazing time for Australian fashion. Unfortunately, the flood of cheap imports beginning mid 80s brought about the demise of Australian manufacturing. Very sad and our loss. Laura, I am trying to remember John. Was he at Darlinghurst, Bondi or Day St. I remember Jeffrey and Michael, Verlie and Tony. I also have been trying to locate Barbara and David but with no luck. Keep me posted if you locate them. Thanx for the memories Regards Chris