Latch Hook

by Kate on January 19, 2012

At the beginning of the school holidays Maddie attended a craft workshop at Art Spark and for the last few weeks has been asking when she can learn to knit.

I’m not overly convinced I am up to take on the ‘knitting teacher’ role just yet so thought we should start off with something a little simpler.

Hello latch hook.

Latch Hook

We trotted up to our local craft supply shop and both had a crash course in how to latch hook.

Maddie is nearly six and picked it up very easily, she is already asking where we can hang it once it is finished.

The mere thought of hanging a lurid blue shaggy wool fish in the house is making me anxious but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

1 karlyn January 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

ha ha! maybe you can convince her to hang in on her bedroom door. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

2 Kate January 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

It’s meant to be turned into a cushion – HELP!

3 Karen Wilson January 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Latch hook is traditionally a rug, that’s what I’m working on at the moment (and have been working on for 18 months LOL). It should be a lovely rug to brighten up her bedroom ;)

4 kate January 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Gorgeous! I used to love doing them. But I gotta admit, the entire time I was reading I was also wondering about where the masterpiece was going to hang in your house when done. Grandparents? x

5 Kate January 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

You know me too well ;)

I’m thinking maybe Maddie can ‘gift’ it to Jason, to hang in his office!

6 CitricSugar January 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Actually, latch hook was the first handcraft my parents taught me. It was the early very 80s and got it in their heads to make a giant latch-hooked monogram rug for my grandparents for Christmas. I had completely forgotten about it until now. Thanks for the nostalgia. :-)

7 Tania January 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I’m sure right a lurid blue shag-pile fish suspended above the dining table would look WONDERFUL. You could all pretend you were Dining Underwater.

Now. Where’s your inner knitty Steiner?

8 Kate January 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

This is me you are talking to…a teach to knit session would send me over the school holiday edge!

9 Christie January 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Cool, what a great idea.

PS I do think it would be a great gift once it’s finished!

10 Tracy January 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I was taught by a good friend that the inside of a child’s bedroom door works well as a gallery space for questionable junior masterpieces and paint colour choices. Right now, my small girl falls asleep to the sight of a lurid pink door and some very dodgy certificates, none of which I ever have to look at.

11 Christina January 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I was going to make the back of the bedroom door suggestion too! Although it could look quite nice with your blue glass, no? :)

12 Tam January 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Way too cute… it is blue remember;) xxt

13 Cathy Robillard January 20, 2012 at 12:42 am

I tried to teach my granddaugter knitting, did not work out too well, thier fingers just don’t want to work that way. But the hook rug, what a great idea, I’m gonna try it with my granddaughter.

That will be way to cute a rug not to hang. Glad you daughter is doing a craft and I know you will find a place to hang it. I made this leo the lion when I was that age and my mom had it till she died and then I took it back. Love that silly old lion. You and your daughter will look back on one of her first projects with fondness, trust me. You will find the perfect spot for it.

cathy

14 Kirst January 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

Yeah – just count your lucky stars it’s not fluro pink & purple. Go maddie!

15 Vicki January 20, 2012 at 8:08 am

Make it into a pillow for her bed! That was she can use it and appreciate it all the time. Glad to see that she is trying something new.
Hugs,
Vicki

16 flowerpress January 20, 2012 at 8:25 am

That looks like so much fun, I’m sure I did that some latching once when I was little.
I agree with Christina, hanging above the blue glass would be perfect ;-)

17 andi January 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

I used to love doing them as a kid too!
I’m sure it will be just ‘gorgeous’!!

18 Mel January 20, 2012 at 11:48 am

I LOVED latch hook as a kid! And now as I sit here I’m wondering where they all ended up … maybe in my dad’s office?!

p.s (love the chipping silver nail polish ;)

19 Paula January 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Kate, you’ve just evoked a wonderful childhood memory – I now recall a latch hook sunflower that I completed when I was young. It was so vibrant and ENORMOUS. Like Mel, I have no idea where it ended up but it’s something I must remember to try with Lily and Josie one day.

20 kim January 24, 2012 at 4:45 am

What a good idea, my grand daughter is 5 and has been wanting me to teach her something!
Thanks Kim

21 wendy January 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Tell her it’s a rug so it has to go on the floor… in her bedroom!