Tunisian Crochet

by Kate on January 16, 2012

I picked up this vintage blanket on ebay last year.

Tunisian Crochet

The colours are so much brighter than my usual taste but I think it is stunning.

Tunisian Crochet

It is a beautiful example of tunisian crochet, something I have not yet tried. I would love to hear if any of you know how to crochet this way.

Edited to add: Thanks to some lovely readers, I have been informed that this blanket may not be Tunisian crochet after all but normal crochet, the stitch being “Afghan”.

I did some hunting around and both methods look the same to me?! I will do some more digging and let you know x

You can find stitch information on the Afghan stitch here.

1 Cameo January 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I haven’t tried it yet but I am really looking forward to. I believe there is a special hook that you crochet over. I heard you can use a knitting needle too. Good luck!

2 Hannah January 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

You use a super long crochet hook, keeping the stitches on the like knittin. I have tried but never made anything as ambitious as that lovely blanket! Maybe that will be next on my list!

3 Kate January 16, 2012 at 4:18 pm

It is gorgeous!
I love the bright and colourfulness of it.
I am going to google tunisian crochet now.
x

4 Lara January 16, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I think it’s lovely! I received a set of tunisian crochet hooks for Christmas, so learning how to do it is on my list of things to do this year.

5 Amy (badskirt) January 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm

It’s been on my list of things to try for quite some time. They usually have workshops for it during the sydney quilt fairs. Maybe we could do a workshop together?

6 Mary January 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Really nice piece!

I just did a basic Tunisian crochet tutorial on my blog. Here is the link:

It is so easy to do. But you do need a long hook. I do not recommend a knitting needle; It would take you forever.

The long (herringbone) stitch in your afghan is made by slipping down to a lower row to pick up the loop for that stitch.

I hope you try it! Have fun!

7 Mary January 7, 2013 at 7:25 am

looking at it again, I agree with you that it is regular single crochet, not tunisian. Tunisian is not this soft and drapey and the stitch is not an afghan stitch. What you have is single crochet rows that every dozen or so stitches you drop you needle down to the row below to pick up your stitch to make a double crochet (or a treble if a double lays too tight) for that herringbone stitch. It is a lovely blanket!

8 Tania January 16, 2012 at 6:41 pm

It’s drop dead gorgeous but the mere mention of Continental Knitting has my hands over my ears, so no doubt Tunisian Crochet would have the same effect. Also struggling with a veritable rainbow of yarn at my place but still keeping the faith that after a billion crocheted trebles it will look spiffy. Hmn.

9 Christina January 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

That is the most beautiful example of Tunisian crochet I have ever seen! That must have been one long hook? I have a golden hands book here on knitting and crochet that has Tunisian crochet in it. Much more 70′s looking designs though. I’m yet to try it, but I’ve bookmarked Mary’s tutorial and I look forward to seeing your results. :)

10 Thrifty Household January 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I don’t have a clue how it’s made but it is a very beautiful blanket. Good Luck!

11 Seaweed & Raine January 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm

It’s gorgeous Kate. After looking at the link I think tunisian crochet looks kinda tricky. I’d love to know if you decide to give it a go! :)

12 Martha January 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Nice pattern too. I have wanted to try Tunisian Crochet, but have not really been looking for a special hook. However, I have seen some Knit Pro crochet hooks, with flexi extended ends which appeal much more to me than a huge rod!
I love how much of the Tunisian C I’ve seen looks like knit stitches.

13 Misty January 17, 2012 at 12:05 am

Wow, what a cool blanket! I finally tried Tunisian crochet last year and found it to be very easy to understand. First, I made a pair of shark mittens for a friend of mine (maybe a little too challenging for a first project, but I persevered) and now I am working on an entrelac scarf that uses Tunisian. The only thing is that it can be hard on your hands. The hook gets heavy while it is holding all of those stitches and so it is a good idea to take breaks. Definitely give it a try sometime!

14 lauren January 17, 2012 at 4:27 am

First of all, I *love* all those happy colors together. This is a total thrift shop score. Secondly, I saw this blanket linked on pinterest and came to get a closer look because I love a good crochet mystery. :) Are you sure it’s Tunisian? I clicked through to your flickr to get a closer look and on the closeup shot it really looks like rows of single crochet, with dagger stitches for the longer ones. Thoughts?

15 CitricSugar January 17, 2012 at 5:34 am

I started an afghan exactly like that one when I was a child but it had an accident with our cat and the project was discontinued… I used a regular 6″ hook though. Each stitch on that blanket is completed as it’s made. The only variation from regular crochet is that every tenth stitch (or so, as the pattern tells you) the hook is inserted into the row below to bring up the first loop. I’ve seen it done with singles, doubles and half-doubles, and with the stitch covering more than one row below… It’s super-simple.

16 CitricSugar January 17, 2012 at 5:37 am

I’ve done the afghan stitch/Tunisian crochet as well but that afghan is not made with it. Afghan stitch is really lovely if you wish to do embroidery like cross-stitch on top of your blocks and it makes a very sturdy fabric. Also quite simple but if you want to do a large piece, you pretty much have to do it in blocks or panels. Reversed single crochet works really beautifully to join panels of afghan stitch. I think that’s all the random crochet advice I have for today, lol. ;-)

17 Bertine January 17, 2012 at 6:39 am

My mom does the “afghan” stitch all the time. She actually has made multiple queen sized blankets with it.

The thing I have noticed the most is how much yarn it uses to do a blanket.

18 Erica January 17, 2012 at 7:27 am

It’s easy to do. Just be aware that it takes a LOT of yarn. I really enjoy the rhythm of Tunisian crochet.

19 Cami January 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hey! Pretty blanket. Tunisian and Afghan stitch are the same thing. That’s what I’ve heard anyway… :) Enjoy!

20 SusanD1408 January 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

I am just trying to learn Tunisian crochet at the moment. I get stressed when knitting as I struggle dropping stitches. I love to crochet so tunisian crochet is easier for me to learn and there are some amazing stitches!

21 TurquoizBlue January 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I wish I could see a head-on view of the stitches, instead of the angle view. It is a beautiful blanket either way.

22 Kim January 19, 2012 at 2:43 am

I did a small throw that was in the Tusisian crochet and this past year a few dish cloths. You have a very beautiful blanket. :)
Kim

23 Kim Guzman January 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

That is gorgeous! I would have rescued it as well. The stitch is a regular single crochet, all worked from one side and cut off for the fringe. Not Tunisian crochet. But, there’s no reason it couldn’t be done in Tunisian crochet. It would be equally lovely.

Tunisian crochet is really fun. I love it. I’ve been writing books in Tunisian since 1998 and haven’t tired of it yet. :-)

24 Caro January 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I have one similar to the one you have crocheted by my husband’s grandmother. It was probably made in the mid 70′s.

25 Alisa March 1, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I was so excited to see a picture of this afghan! My husband’s grandmother made one of these for each of her grandkids and my husband has one. I have wanted to make one for my kids but cannot find the pattern. I see that it is single crochet and then you drop down to do a double but I cannot find a pattern that tells you how many to cast on and when to drop down, etc. If anyone can tell me where I could find the pattern, I’d greatly appreciate it! Thank you. (I googled the herringbone stitch and I am not sure that is it).

26 Ash June 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Not Tunisian. It is single crochet with a front post double crochet.
Here is the link to the proper pattern:
Really simple, but an awesome blanket!

27 Cynthia Corelis March 1, 2014 at 9:53 am

I love doing Tunisian crochet, but as several people ( including the venerable Kim Guzman) one of the big goru’s of the Tunisian stitch) this is not an example of Tunisian. It is indeed a beautiful afghan, non the less. But I feel I need to make another point. The afghan stitch is just another term for Tunisian, as are a few others, if you look up the history of this stitch. Why it is call Tunisian? Is a mystery, because it did not originate in Tunisia either.

Anyway, it is a very easy stitch to do and very relaxing. I just finished Tunisian Enterlac baby blanket. I found it to be a great blanket to work on when you are recovering fron sore hands and wrists from other projects.