Getting my unwind on…

by Kate on September 5, 2012

It doesn’t take much for me to get ‘wound up’.

Do you know the feeling?

I have always been like it and I am fully aware that the ‘wind up’ is not one of my greatest personality traits.

With the addition of study to my already full plate I have been feeling a little frazzled and as such, I have been exploring various unwinding options.

I have tried quite a few things, the usual suspects; meditating and various forms of exercise but none that seem to make a difference or that I have really enjoyed.

Until now.

I have dabbled in Bikram Yoga on and off for about 10 years (when I say dabbled I mean have tried the 10-day introductory pass in each and every city I have lived in) but I never seem to make it past about 3 classes.

There is a reason for that – it is bloody hard.

Anyway, when we first moved back to Sydney, I noticed a Bikram studio had opened up the road.

I drive past it nearly every day and kept saying to myself ‘Yes, yes must get there. So close. No excuses’.

It has taken me nearly a year but a month ago I went to a class.

It was tough, so tough

But I walked out of that class and felt super doper relaxed, refreshed and recharged.

I think I have found the ultimate ‘un-wind’ activity and I am convinced it is because for 90 minutes all I think about is listening to the teacher and getting through each posture.

Nothing else enters my mind, it’s almost at rest.

I don’t think it is correct to say that for those 90 minutes I am loving it but I tell you what…I love the way I feel afterwards.

So much so that I have been going three to four times a week and even getting up at 5:30am to do it (unheard of in these parts).

I am looking forward to the day when I can move in and out of the postures with relative ease but for now I am just so thrilled to have found something that assists in the managing of my day-to-day wind up.

Do you get wound up?

What is your remedy?

1 Kirst September 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm

The run!

Good on you KateO. I think you will grow to love the 90minutes. xx

2 Kate September 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I think I will too and I am going to do my best to stick with it xx

3 Suz September 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I have just finished a six week beginners Yoga course and I loved it too! I couldn’t believe how quickly the time went! It is so nice to listen as a student rather than talk all the time (as the teacher!) I’m hoping if I keep going, it will get easier!

4 Kate September 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm

It is such a great zone out, isn’t it?

5 Kate September 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Wow!! I am super impressed.
Especially with the 5.30.
I feel like that often and I try to remember to walk it out.
Fast in the forest. x

6 SuBoo September 13, 2012 at 12:41 am

I’m impressed! I must say I’ve never gotten up to that stage yet – done the dabbling with the introductory passes, loved the feeling after the 90 minutes were up, but I think I lack a lot of discipline to keep at things, so doing group PT is a bit more suited. Nothing like someone asking you where you’ve been if you don’t turn up! ;)

7 Brigi September 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I used to go to Bikram Yoga. I loved it. I was able to put all stress beind me, I can completely relate to your success. Have fun!