An icon to close..

by Kate on October 21, 2012

If you live in Australia and are into fabric, you will most likely know of the iconic fabric store in Melbourne, Patchwork on Central Park.

After twenty years, Lynn has decided to wind up the patchwork store and in 2013 will transform the space into another branch of her very successful boutique, Scarlet Jones – you can read all about it here.

Last year, I mentioned my concerns regarding the pressures on both retailers and consumers in todays economic climate, a harsh reality all of us face in one way or another.

I understand the reasons behind Lynn’s decision but was still saddened by the news.

The closure of Patchwork on Central Park means there is one less place in Melbourne to learn the wonderful skill of quilting, a place where I had many good times.

Lynn is slashing the price of all patchwork fabrics (excluding Liberty and Linen). Pop in-store or order online to secure a bargain.

1 Suz October 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Sad to hear of another Melbourne patchwork shop closing….will there be any left soon?

2 Casey October 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Oh no! I do quilting for Lynn and this is news to me! (That’s what happens when you work alone I guess..) I am a bit excited about Scarlet Jones though, there’s some beautiful stuff in there.

3 Jennybain October 21, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I Agree-oh no- not another patchwork shop to close!! Difficult to find inspiring fabrics-POCP was a place I made a beeline for when I came to Melbourne. Please make sure we- out of Towners get a go to stock up fabric- it has to last us a long time!Very sorry you are closing. jenny

4 Lynn October 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for your kind words Kate, Patchwork on Central Park has been a wonderful shop and I have met gorgeous people through it over the years (including you and Sarah)
Everything has its time and I have ridden the wave, and an eventful ride it was. Now is time to put away my board (or needles) and move to the next exciting beach:)
Sadly I don’t think internet shopping will be so much fun when there are no bricks and mortar shops to touch and feel first. Enjoy the Sale everyone.

5 Kate October 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

The store will be sorely missed Lynn!

x

6 Barbara October 22, 2012 at 8:17 am

Such a lovely post about a special store …
always a stunning quilt or three on display to inspire and someone to ask for advice (about sewing or anything!)Patchwork on Central will be much missed

7 Kate October 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I couldn’t agree more x

8 Claire October 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I was so sad to read your post! Lynn and PWoC hold a very special place in my crafty heart. Of course Scarlet Jones is a beautiful store and will do so well in that space — but what a beautiful and inspiring shop it was.

9 Kate October 22, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Likewise Claire.

Yes, I think Patchwork has had that affect on many and it is such a shame to see it go.

Thanks for stopping by.