I quit sugar

by Kate on March 3, 2013

I quit sugar

Since I started a regular yoga practice I have started listening to my body.

I have noticed that what I eat and drink directly impacts on my practice and how I feel on a day to day basis. Yeah, I know, I know… talk about “stating the obvious” but the yoga has magnified the realisation that what I put in my body, affects not just my practice but my day to day wellbeing.

This realisation has meant that I have significantly reduced my intake of alcohol. I have gone from an everyday wine drinker, to enjoying just a few glasses on the weekend. This is massive for me as I LOVE wine but it has been worth it. I am sleeping better and wake up ‘fog free’. I still want to make a few more changes, the chief reasons being the bloat and because I find it VERY VERY difficult to go without a ‘sweet fix’ after lunch and dinner.

Now, I’m sure you may be thinking that these two issues sound pretty normal and innocent but the bloating can be quite hideous and painful and when I hit the sweets, I binge in a big way. The innocent bullet or chocolate egg turns into nearly half a packet. I don’t like how I feel after and I certainly don’t like feeling like I am a hostage to sugar.

This brings me to Sarah Wilson and her ‘I quit sugar’ way of life. I have been contemplating Sarah’s methods for the last month but when I first read about her and her way of life, I thought “well, it’s easy for Sarah. She has no kids and only has herself to worry about”.

Harsh and naive on my part.

Fast forward a few weeks and specifically, last night. Jason and I had just come out of the cinema and with stomach’s full of Toblerone – the stars aligned. The local book store was still open and Sarah’s book was in the window. I made the decision to stop making excuses and have a crack.

Sarah’s book is so well written. It is written for normal, busy people and more importantly – it looks achievable.

I am under no illusion that the first 8 weeks are going to be tough (especially considering fruit has to be cut out for before a little being re-introduced at the eight week mark) but I am ready for change and am so interested to see what impact no sugar/fructose has on the way I am feeling.

You may be wondering, why I am writing all this? Well, in my experience there is no greater motivation (for me, anyway) than a public declaration – it.is.out.there! I love nothing more than a challenge and I love a goal.

But I am also wondering if anyone else has tried Sarah’s program? Do you have any hints or tips? Any good sugar-free recipes you and your family love?

Over the next 8 weeks, I will pop back weekly. Let you know how I am getting on and how it is fitting into our family life.

Jason is on board so we can motivate each other along the way and we have decided not to take a draconian approach with the kids, just some subtle changes that I am hoping they don’t really notice.

Wish me luck and see you next week!

1 Maggie March 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

Good luck!! I look forward to hearing how you go. Such a worthwhile thing to do.

2 Kate March 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Maggie x

3 CitricSugar March 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Best of luck! I am definitely a sugar junkie – I have it hidden all over the placeā€¦ I’d be interested to hear how it works for you.

4 Kate March 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Thanks! Will let you know how I get on x

5 sara March 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Really looking forward to seeing how this works out for you….best of luck to you:)

6 Kate March 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thanks Sara!

7 SuperMomNoCape March 3, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I’ve just started taking a Beginner Yoga class about a month ago and am noticing differences as well as I learn to listen to my body in a new way.

I’ve been on a low GL eating plan for about 8 months and have pretty much given up sugar except for a bit of 85 % dark chocolate for a treat. But I’m not sure I could give up fruit.

Good luck with your new eating plan.

8 Kate March 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thanks so much for popping by and your well wishes x

9 Karlyn Jackson March 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Hi Kate,
I read Sarah’s e book last March after reading a few blogs. I decided to do it due to the bloating and fogginess as well. I couldn’t believe how massive my tummy was just at the end of the day and I’m not a really big eater. It changed everything for me. I didn’t cheat at all and I found the first 8 weeks surprising easy. I didn’t do it to loose weight but happened to loose 6 kgs which I have kept off for almost a year. I now have two pieces of fruit a day. It’s amazing that I am satisfied with just a cup of tea at night and not the sweets that go with it. I didn’t try a lot of recipes but upped my nuts and cheeses. Now I really enjoy savoury foods. This year, like you, I”m trying to kick the wine to 3 nights a week…..I’m thinking of trying the hot room in Chatswood too so maybe that will work for me also…………good luck…you wont’ need it. xx

10 Kate March 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm

So great to hear you tried and were successful with Sarah’s approach. I have got to say that the first two days have been really good. We don’t eat a heap of processed food (it is mainly the fruit consumption and chocolate that is killer for me) so I am hoping the transition wont be too full on.

x

11 Seaweed & Raine March 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Oh good for you girl! :) My Mum and Step Dad went sugar free when he was diagnosed with cancer – I’ll have to ask her what they did. I do remember though that granny smith apples and strawberries were some of the first fruits that they re-introduced, as they have lower fructose levels.
Sheree

12 Kate March 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Ooh thanks Sheree.

I will definitely be checking out which fruits have lower fructose levels as soon as I am past the 8 week ban.

Hope your step Dad is on the mend x

13 Holly McLean March 3, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I admire anyone who cuts the sugar habit. I’m struggling, doing the cutting back thing. I know, I know, it’s hard to cut an addiction that way. My daughter cut out dugar and is urging me on. I haven’t seen her book but must check it out.

14 Kate March 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

The book is really worth checking out!

15 Beth March 4, 2013 at 2:34 am

I have been doing a lot of yoga and morning walks for the last 6 months or so and am also finding that I am much more in tune with my body and mind now. I recently started juicing and did a 5-7 day juice fast and afterward found it much easier to say no to sugar. I used to be a HUGE sugar addict. I also quit diet sodas and that helped cut my sugar cravings too. Like Karlyn above, I didn’t do it to lose weight but I have lost 15 lbs without really trying, just since January! The first thing I noticed was my belly bloat and flab melting away even when the scale read the same. Good luck and keep up the good work.

16 Kate March 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hi Beth,

Yes, the yoga really does wonders for mental well being. I am really grateful of it coming into my life when it did.

Also great to hear your feedback regarding sugar free eating. Day two and I am feeling pretty good, the food that I have been eating has been really tasty and so filling. Lots of seeds, nuts and veggies.

Thanks for popping by x

17 Penny G March 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

i have cut way back on sugar and when i eat sugar I get belly bloat so I know what it does. A year ago if someone had said this to me I would have thought they were crazy. I went from a size 14 to a size 4 and the first place I lost weight was my belly. The key is very reduced sugar and little or no processed flours. I wish you well and listen to your body it will tell you if you listen – after 60 years I am finally started listening.

18 Kate March 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm

So great to hear you have also cut back on sugar, so many people have said it has made such a difference in their life.

Thanks for commenting x

19 Kristine March 4, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hmm, this is the second food related post I’ve read this morning on a craft blog – something is up. Good luck with your sugar quitting. You will feel amazing. Sugar doesn’t agree with me either. And the bloat? Yes, I get that too. With me it is from eating wheat though, which I also avoid. I can’t say I have a lot of sugar free recipes, as our family is busy avoiding grain, wheat and dairy. But there are some wonderful health and food blogs out there which I rely on heavily for recipes and ideas. I started a pinterest recipe board to track all my favourite paleo recipes. I’m sure there are lots of Pinterest sugar free boards. I’ll be cheering you on as you quit sugar. Good for you.

20 Kate March 4, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hi Kristine,

Lovely to hear from you!

It is all a bit of a minefield when you first start but I am hoping that with time the ‘no sugar’ thing becomes second nature.

I will check out your Paleo pinterest board as the ‘no sugar’ seems to align itself with that way of eating.

Hope you and the family are well x Kate

21 Celine W. March 4, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Hi Kate, Thank you for sharing your story – very inspiring for me to continue my journey to a healthier life. The “morning fog” you mentioned was one thing that really got better for me and my husband – We’ve been following the 21day sugar detox on Tim’s blog (http://timreviews.com/21daysugardetox) for 18 days now with good results. Now we’re looking forward to try your recommended book by Sarah Wilson as a follow up :)
Celine

22 Kirst March 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Power to you! I should but there’s no way I could cut the fruit even just at the beginning. I will try the Koo version of this…starting tomoz. x

23 lexi March 4, 2013 at 8:51 pm

My only piece of advice is: be organised. And make friends with About Life.

24 Mel March 5, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Here are the reasons why you will succeed in this:

1. You are doing it because you body told you to not because it’s trendy. In fact you actively *didn’t* do it because it was trendy.
2. Jason is on board. You’d still manage it but it’d be way harder if Jason was still chugging down the wines (not that he ever chugged them down but you know what I mean ;)
3. You’re tough and when you set your mind on something, you just bloody well GET IT DONE (Aries alert).
4. Yeah I’ll give you a prod every now and then if you reckon you need it but I don’t think you will.

Mx

25 Deepa@onesmallpot March 28, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi Kate! I just discovered your very pretty blog through doing a google search for ‘I quit sugar’. Why?? Well I’m planning on starting the program next week! Since you are now 3 weeks into it, I was just wondering how you are doing? Is it easier/harder than you expected? Do you have any extra tips for the fellow newbie?

26 Kate March 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

Just sent you an email!

27 Deepa March 30, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Hi Kate! Thanks so much for your reply. It’s really encouraging to hear how well you are doing. Thanks for all the advice. I have a big sweet tooth which is part of the reason I am doing this- moderation just doesn’t exist for me when it comes to sweets! So far I have made the granola and the meal in a biscuit and stocked up on supplies so we will see. Will keep you posted!
Cheers
Deepa

28 meg April 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I quit sugar this year as well! I found it was giving me headaches. How I didn’t realize it wasn’t normal to have a headache everyday is beyond me! I did the Whole30 program/diet/cleanse thingy in Jan. and I’m doing it now too (because unlike you, easter got me). Good luck! and yay for coconut!