i quit sugar : week 5 & beyond

by Kate on April 9, 2013

iqs wrap up
Photo : Sprouted Kitchen

If you have been stopping by here for a while, you have probably gleaned that I am an ‘all or nothing’ personality. When I discover something I love, I’ll tell anyone who will listen just how fantastic said discovery is. I get so excited and passionate (and also a little consumed) by the things that have had a positive affect on me.

I’m sure my friends and family find it tedious and no doubt you may too! And with that in mind, this is going to be my last post on my experience with Sarah Wilson’s 8 week quitting sugar program.

You just need to know that because of the program, I have made a heap of changes to how and what I eat.

If you think you have a problem with excess sugar consumption, then I cannot recommend Sarah’s book enough. Once you have completed Sarah’s 8 week program, your body (and you) will have well and truly kicked the refined sugar habit.

Moving forward, you will be able to make informed choices about what NATURAL sugars (think honey, maple syrup and fruit) that you may want to reintroduce. The beauty of doing the 8 week program is that you realise just how sweet the said natural sugars are. A little goes a long way and you will no longer be grabbing a bar of chocolate or smashing back a pastry to get your sugar fix.

Use Sarah’s book as a starting point and then check out these wonderful blogs for further inspiration: The Holistic Ingredient, Sprouted Kitchen, 101 Cookbooks and Inspired Edibles.

And in the words of a very good friend, just “have a crack”!

*edited to add* Last week, I came across the ebook ‘I didn’t quit sugar’ and it is a fantastic read. I do think the title is a little bit of a marketing ploy but if you can get past that you will find it jam packed with a heap of nutritional advice and facts around sugar and its sugar consumption. Whilst Katie & Cassie do not advocate the complete reduction of natural sugar intake, their message is one of including the natural stuff (honey, maple syrup & fruit) as part of a balanced whole-food diet.

I think there is a place for both methods. I found it a lot easier (and became more educated) to kick my sugar addiction by first doing Sarah’s 8 week program. I now feel I am at a really good, clean place to reintroduce small amounts of sugar, in the form of fruit, on a daily basis.

1 mel @ loved handmade April 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm

All the dishes you have shared look amazing and delicious. I really need to do this..

2 Holly McLean April 9, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I noticed your bloglovin button last time and downloaded the App. I can’t seem to figure out how to get the button on my blog though.

3 Lara April 10, 2013 at 7:57 am

I’ve really enjoyed your IQS stories and what you have shared. I actually bought the book at the same time as you, but am still ruminating about doing it. It seems to make absolute sense, and you are certainly an inspiration regarding it’s success. I’ll be interested to read anything else that you share about your IQS experiences!

4 Kate April 10, 2013 at 8:07 am

Aww thanks Lara!

The whole quitting sugar thing has been such a revelation to me. I can’t say enough how healthy I have been feeling, so much energy and it really is remarkable that I have lost weight even though I am sure that I would be consuming more calories?!

When you are ready to do the 8 week program, my advice would be to get super dooper organised and maybe allocate half a day each week to do some batch cooking. I tend to make one batch of granola a week and have that sprinkled over rolled oats or quinoa porridge.

It is amazing how sweet different foods taste now that I have cut most sugars out.

Let me know how you get on xx

5 Leah April 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I have started the IQS program and am now 4 days in… it’s actually not as bad as I thought it would be! What I am struggling with is the ‘snacks’ and also what to have more dinners… do you have any suggestions??

6 Kate April 12, 2013 at 10:09 am

There are heaps of lovely snack ideas in Sarah’s IQS book but if you are still struggling you can take a look at some of the recipes I have pinned to my ‘i quit sugar’ board.

You can find that here: http://pinterest.com/oneflewover/i-quit-sugar/

There are lots of dinner ideas there too x

7 Donna September 10, 2013 at 8:41 am

Thanks for posting about your IQS experience – have just read them all. Very helpful! I think I will skip weeks 1-2 as well. Good tip! Donna x